Welcome to Green Gateway’s latest project, The Gem. The Gem is a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom residential building that has been up cycled from humble origins as a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom industrial structure. The original building, the ERGO W440 was designed with high specification insulation, electrical, plumbing and strength to suit the needs of the mining and tourism industries in difficult remote conditions. With change in the economy, the opportunity presented itself to do something more with the ERGO building, which suited reconfiguration into something special – Enter Green Gateway, and say “hello” to the Gem!
The Gem is a partnership project, with Green Gateway contracting works, design and project management. We will document the Gem project more on our blog (coming soon) in the next weeks.
The Gem is available for viewing in Maddington, Western Australia. You can order a Gem in display specification, base specification, or even purchase an ERGO W440 and create your own masterpiece. Please contact us to organise a visit to the display.
- Recycled, unused steel frame building imported in container format with reduced transportation energy
- Resale of unnecessary items such as additional beds, desks, shelving and wardrobes, displacing new product sales
- Re-use of the building fabric, plumbing, electrical, glazing, doors, data cabling and air conditioning, minimising new material use and waste
- Fitting of new UPVC frame double glazing for improved thermal efficiency
- R4.04 insulated walls and R4.71 insulated ceiling, far exceeding minimum standards
- Modular construction minimises waste, both in factory conditions and on site
- Small footprint 51 square metre building with reduced energy use compared to larger dwellings. The building is perfectly suited to affordable living, down sizing and nature tourism
- All lighting replaced with high efficiency, long life LED
- Single transport load, for minimised embodied energy relocating to site
- Building is relocatable and may be moved or expanded rather than demolished if requirements change
- Building framework is built for cyclonic conditions and to last for several decades
- 12.2m x 4.2m, perfectly suited to limited land spaces with closer proximity to public transport and amenities